System Management Facility (SMF) is an IBM z/OS mainframe component that collects and records system and job-related information that can be used to:
- Bill users/customers
- Analyse system configuration
- Maintain system security
- Summarise DASD volume activity
- Evaluate dataset activity
- Profile system resource use
- Schedule jobs
- Produce reliability reports
SMF formats the information that it gathers into:
- System-related SMF records – include information about the configuration, paging activity, and workload.
- Job-related records – include information on the CPU time, SYSOUT activity, and data set activity of each job step, job, APPC/MVS transaction program, and TSO/E session.
A mainframe installation can provide its own routines as part of SMF. These routines will receive control either at a particular point as a job moves through the system, or when a specific event occurs.